International education is presently torn by two opposing forces: the challenge of achieving globally competitive quality; and the challenge of restraining costs to make education affordable and accessible to learners.
In the fast-paced world of the 21st century educational processes must adapt to the needs and lifestyles of learners. That learners have become more mobile and at the same time require substantial amounts of real-time information to become technically proficient and professionally competent, purely campus-based education is now considered greatly impractical, if not inadequate.
Recognizing the need for student-centered learning, Aldersgate College has developed an Online Education System to:
- Provide education to Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) and their family members who, by force of economic circumstances, have been forced to work and live abroad without completing their college education in the Philippines. These OFWs usually find education in their overseas domicile to be
- prohibitive in terms of cost
- inflexible in terms of study schedules
- exclusive in terms of language and culture, and
- non-equivalent in terms of course contents and credits to government-recognized curricula either in the Philippines (to which they eventually return) or to that of another foreign country (to which they may alternately proceed).
- Provide education primarily to mobile working students in the Philippines who aspire to finish college courses that will give them globally competitive and multi-cultural skills, knowledge and exposures in anticipation of international employment or business activities.
- Provide education to foreign nationals residing inside and outside the Philippines who desire to take advantage of quality international education at a cost much more reasonable than those offered by online and distance education providers in developed countries.
One Stop Shop Advantage: STUDY-WORK-MIGRATE
Aldersgate College is part of an International Partnership Network for Education, Employment and Migration. This network is composed of Transnational Education Institutions, Professional-Technical-Vocational Skills Training and Accreditation Agencies, Migration Consultants and Multinational Employers. We are therefore able to offer a career path that connects our educational programs to migration channels and employment opportunities. It provides the following components:
- ONLINE LEARNING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (OLMS). OLMS contains all the learning materials necessary to complete any course. It therefore functions as the Mixing Panel for Curriculum-based Learning. OLMS provides access for all Inputs (instructional modules) and Outputs (tests, resports, assessments). Its essential characteristics are as follows:
- Standardized Course Contents. The contents of Instructional Modules are in conformity with local and international Policies and Standards for Higher, Technical and Vocational Education.
- Systematized Course Syllabi. The Course Syllabi format is integrated, self-contained and modularized. It includes the Course Number, Course Title, Dean’ Information, Instructor’s Information, General Objective, Topics, Enrichment Activities, References & Educational Materials, Case Studies, Assessment Tools, Time Frames, Book References, Grading Policy, and Required Papers. It incorporates all the necessary information for enriched individualized learning.
- Multi-media. Various forms of multi-media such as PowerPoint Presentations, Video, Audio and Graphics are incorporated as hyperlinks in the Course Syllabi.
- Digitalized. The Course Syllabi modules, along with the multi-media materials they contain, are produced and distributed in digital formats to facilitate individual and group learning in stand-alone, local area network and web-based systems.
- Comprehensive Testing and Remediation. An option is provided for Computer-Aided Audit Review and Testing System (CAARTS) based on the Standardized Course Contents to facilitate swift and cost-effective evaluation of student performance.
- Online Education. The digitized syllabi and multi-media can be uploaded to and accessed from the Online Education Website for learners enrolled in pure distance education or blended classroom-online education programs.
- FLEXIBLE COLLABORATIVE LEARNING. While using OLMS, research and discussion of topics covered by the Course Syllabi can be further enriched by allowing problem-based, interest-driven collaborative learning methodologies with the use of the following tools:
- Online Personal Learning Environment (OPLE). Facebook is used as the Mixing Panel for Collaborative Learning activities. A Facebook Group is organized for each class. Learning materials (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Adobe PDF, You Tube Video) and their Web Links are posted in the Facebook Group. Faculty and Study Group consultations are done through FB chats, IP phone and SKYPE videoconferencing.
- Teacher-Learner and Learner-Learner Interaction. Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, OneNote and SharePoint are also established to strengthen collaborative learning processes.
- FLEXIBLE CLASS SCHEDULES. Class schedules can be adapted to the need of students, as follows:
- TRIMESTRAL (Term: 3 months, Units: 18-21 units, Hours: 54 hours per 3 unit course)
- SEMESTRAL (Term: 4.5 months, Units: 18-27 units, Hours: 54 hours per 3 unit course)
- ½ SEMESTRAL (Term: 4.5 months, Units: 18-27 units, Hours: 54 hours per 3 unit course). However, 4-5 Courses are taken within the 1st to the 9th Weeks; and the other 4-5 Courses taken within the 10th to the 18th Weeks.
- ¼ SEMESTRAL (Term: 4.5 months, Units: 18-27 units, Hours: 54 hours per 3 unit course). However, 2 Courses are taken every 4 Weeks. Up to 9 Courses can be finished within the Semester.
- LADDERIZED DIPLOMA AND CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
Ladderized DIPLOMA PROGRAMS (Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees) and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS (Technical and Vocational Courses) allow a synchronous, progressive and step-ladder learning. Graduates of DIPLOMA and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS are qualified to take appropriate professional licensing examinations and skills competency tests given by government and industry accrediting agencies. A ladderized system of education provides the following options for students:
- Immediate employment after brief periods of study
- Concurrently work while studying
- Continue studies to the next professional level seamlessly, whether a part-time or full-time student.
- TRANSFER CREDIT EQUIVALENCY
TRANSFER CREDIT EQUIVALENCY facilitates STUDY-WORK-MIGRATE PROGRAMS in multiple locations such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.K, Malaysia and other countries. It allows portability of DIPLOMA and CERTIFICATES for purposes of professional accreditation and employment in these countries.
Developing an Online Education System requires high-levels of integrated, multi-disciplinary knowledge and skills.
To operate Pure Online and Blended Online-Classroom modes of instruction, it is imperative that the education provider possesses expertise in educational software design, courseware/module/content development, and resource facilitation. This is the reason why Aldersgate College can reduce system development, operation and maintenance costs, which, in turn, creates economic and educational advantages for students, such as,
- lower educational fees,
- constantly updated curricula, syllabi and educational contents,
- responsive and customizable educational packages and coursewares
- simplified access to educational resources in the internet
Aldersgate College has designed educational software and developed educational courseware, modules, and contents with its research partners (e.g., Academics Software, Digital software) and affiliated consultants. These collaborations have made available a wide array of technical capabilities:
- Academics Software provides the Educational Software, Instructional Modules, Multi-media Materials, Testing & Review Systems.
- Academics Software also provides the e-Resources Library which simplifies access to Digital Libraries, Educational Portals and Websites on all Academic subjects and topics available in the internet in the form of Video Presentations, Powerpoint Presentations, e-Books and Coursewares.